Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Along Kampala Road...

Masaka is the city where our hotel was located whose  current population is @75,000.  It was known as Uganda's second largest town for a long time but lost that status in 1979 as it was largely destroyed during the Uganda-Tanzania War.  Unfortunately, during 1981-1986, Masaka was destroyed again during a civil war.   Masaka is where the clinic is located and the place where the children from Mbiriizi are taken for medical care and where some supplies are bought for the school.



We went into a supermarket while in Masaka to get some Stoney (ginger soda) and some bowls for the school.  Interesting array of items available from food to cribs to clocks and stockings - including a rack of "National Enquirer" type newspapers - guess that is just a human interest no matter where you live!



Traveling along Kampala Road from our hotel in Masaka to the school was always an eye opener...like I was seeing it for the first time.   I thought it would become commonplace, something that would have no effect on me, but that was not the case.   I'm not sure if it was because I just couldn't wrap my mind around what I was seeing or that it was just too much to take in at one time.  Little by little seemed to work better for me...but still provided some serious food for thought and personal reflection.


The traffic along this road consisted of vehicles of all shapes and sizes, boda-bodas laden with passengers, and men, women, and children on their way to school, the fields, work, carrying water, bananas, items for market or, perhaps, wood.  Bicycles burdened with pineapples, water, bananas, and all things that might have been carried were also part of the parade on the side of this road and through the villages we passed.  It never ceased to amaze me what human beings are capable of doing - human beings of all ages - because little children were involved in this procession, as well, carrying jerry cans, bananas, wood, etc. - whatever was needed.  The scene never changed - just the location.



Something I have noticed since we arrived is the presence of white mannequins modeling clothing...white mannequins in a country of Black people. Go figure. Many of the mannequins have half of a face missing, or an arm or leg or both arms and legs but they were all light skinned.  Again, I am thinking availability.


On our way to Myewa, I spotted a sign for a hotel bearing the surname of my father - Joret - my maiden name.  As far as I know, we do not have any Ugandan ancestors but, hey...you never know!  My dad would have gotten a kick out of this one!


Next: the impressive demonstrations given to us by the students at Mbiriizi! 

No comments:

Post a Comment