Tuesday, June 5, 2012

"I haven't been everywhere but it's on my list." 

So, I'm off again and it's about time, in my eyes!  My passport was feeling neglected!   But, this time I am embarking on a different kind of adventure.  On June 14th, I am headed for Uganda to volunteer in the village of Mbiriizi for a couple of weeks. 

I am joining Sylvia's Children, a non-profit group headed by Sylvia Allen, a kind, determined, generous, feisty and driven woman, whose goal is to create a self-sustaining community out of Mbiriizi.  After that, she will take her model of success and move on to another community with substantial challenges and continue to change lives!  To give you an idea of what she has accomplished thus far, click on this link.  It will be much more comprehensive than my memory and will motivate you to find out more about Sylvia and her efforts.  I also hope you will decide to get involved!  http://www.sylviaschildren.org/

As I am counting down the days until our departure, I realize that there are a lot of unknowns this time around and that my excitement level is building faster than usual.  Preparing for international travel brings with it the anticipation of new and exciting experiences and the sudden development of the unexpected, quite possibly in a foreign land where communication is mainly experimental! 

There is no parallel in getting swept up in the miracle and delicious surprise of travel!  I love the process!  I always meet new and engaging people, have wildly interesting conversations with strangers, and find each day to be filled with the possibility of satisfying some of my insatiable curiosities.  

While I have been to the continent of Africa before (South Africa), I have not been to Uganda nor have I spent an extended period of time in a mostly undeveloped village with 1,100 children!  Note to self:  "Buckle up, baby!  It's going to be a wild ride!"

No comments:

Post a Comment